For My Fairy Godmother

 
The gift that I sent in such a hurry on Friday?
 
Yep, this is the sort of picture you get when you are in the car and you realize you need a pic for the blog.  Surprise!  The grey of my car seats make an excellent background for a hard to photograph color.  It's a tad washed out (and I'm not one for altering photos...although it would be good if I would learn...ahem), but by and by the color is pretty accurate.

Without further ado, the present was - as you can see -
A custom-fit, cozy pair of socks for my Fairy Godmother, Cathy Johnson.

Kate is amazing, and I like to try to spoil her a little bit.  I grew up in absolute awe of her talent - and with more than one of her paintings on the wall in our home.  (We have a portrait she did of my mother that is gorgeous, and a portrait of me as a baby, and a picture of the family farm, and, and, and...)  It's been one of the great delights of my life to have become such good friends with her, and I value her insight and wisdom more than I can say.  She's a true kindred spirit.

 Kate received her socks yesterday, and she shared this photo on FB.


The sock info: 
Basic Sock, Ann Budd
Malabrigo Sock, Rayon Vert, 1 skein
Knit Picks Harmony DPN's - US 1, 2.25mm
August 10, 2014 - February 20, 2015
 
Notes: The first attempt was an attempt with 80 stitches in 2x2 rib, with 66 rows in the leg.  I took it home for a weekend visit, and was able to see Kate for a fitting.  She wanted a looser fit in the leg, and so, as custom fit is my specialty, we tried again!  Round two included 88 stitches in 2x2 rib on the leg.  I only did 60 rows (to make sure we had enough yarn for both socks), and then decreased to 80 stitches in the last row....mirroring the decreases in both halves of the ribbing on top for the sake of looks, but working them evenly across the bottom.  50 rows in the foot.

Comments

I am deeply touched, honored, delighted, and SO happy...I love you fairy godchild!

Popular Posts