Getting It Done

Having at long last finished the Spider Queen, I turned my attention this morning to the also long-neglected Mandala.

Truthfully, this has been a weird project from day one.  The current incarnation is actually my third attempt at this pattern - the first two having both wound up in the frog pond.  I had intended to use it as a way to loosen me up a bit....by choosing each element I included from the limited options preselected by the designer, I felt it would be a very gentle way to ease me into designing my own projects.  Sadly, I think it had the exact opposite effect.

Ah well...it was still beautiful.

Unfortunately, it fell apart when I hit the outside edging.  I hated the edging included in the pattern (and how weird is it that this is a choose-your-own-adventure pattern, with four options for every section...but a single, fixed pattern for the edging?!), and so took it upon myself to find a replacement.  After a few repeats, and with the assistance of my handy digital postal scale, I did some math and realized I didn't have enough yarn to complete the edging that I had chosen.  Back into the WIP basket it went while I contemplated what to do about that.  (Go buy more yarn?  pick a different pattern?)

It's been sitting for months and months and months.

This morning I stuffed it into my knitting bag on a whim before I headed out to Starbucks.  Once I was settled with my tea I rather ruthlessly ripped out the edging I had already completed, and began the quick process of a crochet chain bind off.  I didn't give myself time to think or to second guess or to try to figure out another solution.  It's not the fanciest of edgings, and it may not be entirely the right match for this project....but I can finish it today and then move on to other projects without this particular albatross continuing to weigh me down.

Sometimes you just need to get it done.


Comments

Amen to that! Now if I could figure out a quick fix to this BOOK I'm supposed to be writing. Nowhere near the edging stage yet, and it's got too many cooks spoiling the stew, to wildly mix a metaphor!

Popular Posts